About Bishop Fred Lewis

Fred Lewis was born on November 12th, 1922 to Deacon and Mrs. Tom Lewis.  In 1934, he accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior while residing in Merigold, Mississippi.  At the age of 21, he was drafted into the U.S. Army Airfoce during World War II.  Upon discharge, he joined his parents who had moved from Mississippi to Ypslanti, Michigan.

On December 10, 1945 he was united in holy matrimony with Statha M. Haralson in Canton, Mississippi.  They were blessed with eleven children: Clarence (Barbara) Lewis, Vivian (Leroy) Turner, Kathryn Dukes, Sandra Lewis, Fred Allen (Lydia) Lewis, Linda (Gene) Buggs, Sharyn (Donnie) Langston, Eric (Patricia) Lewis, Deirdre (Keith) Dill, Fe’Neda Lewis, Kineta Lewis; Twenty-eight grand-children, and 22 Great-grand-children.  Mr. Lewis loves to spend time with his family and refers to himself as a “family man”. 

In 1946, Mr. Lewis and his family moved to Flint, Michigan.  There, he served as Deacon, Church Treasurer and Sunday School Superintendent under the leadership of Supt. T. R. Harris.  In 1953, he was called to the ministry and was assigned to pastor a new mission in Saginaw, Michigan.  As he traveled from Flint to Saginaw, people begin to follow him to Saginaw.  In 1960, he decided it was time to open a church in Flint.  Elder Lewis started Hamilton Avenue Church of God In Christ (COGIC) and ministered to the church for twenty-one years. During this ministry many souls were saved and bodies healed.  In 1981, Elder Lewis and his congregation constructed a new edifice they named Faith Temple COGIC. In 1992, Elder Lewis was appointed as Bishop of the Southwest Michigan Fourth Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction.

Bishop and Mother Lewis celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in December 2005.  Through their lives they have demonstrated “true holiness”.  Bishop Lewis, the recipient of an Honorary Doctorate of Divinity Award, has served with true compassion and understanding, and his years as a Bishop will  continue to enrich the lives of others as will his continued ministry in reaching out to tend to the spiritual needs of the citizens of the Saginaw, Flint, and across the country.  Throughout the years he has lived a life dedicated to God and humanity and is held in high regard by city officials.  His honorable life and love for people have made him a man among men whose legacy will live from generation to generation.